Saturday, August 13, 2011

Liverpool experience made Hodgson stronger

West Bromwich Albion manager Roy Hodgson believes his short stay at Liverpool has made him stronger.
 
 

The 64-year-old parted company with the Reds in January, just over seven months after taking the job, writes Stewart Coggin.

Hodgson accepts that he was never going to be a fans' favourite, with many Reds supporters in favour of current manager Kenny Dalglish being offered the job last

back foot
 
"I came to Liverpool on the back of a very good season with Fulham, we'd just got to a European Cup final," said Hodgson at the 2011/12 Barclays Premier League launch.

"I suppose I was unfortunate in a sense that it was in the takeover period, and a period of uncertainty, but I knew that when I took the job that it was uncertain. But I was bold enough to think I would override that, but it wasn't to be.

"It was a job I had to accept, albeit knowing that I would be going in there, to some extent, on the back foot because a takeover was in the offing and I wasn't the fans' choice and the guy who wanted the job and who was passed over for me, was the fans' choice.

"Everyone knows that. In the fans' eyes Kenny should have been given the job in the first place, but wasn't. But it was an interesting experience and all the things that don't destroy you, make you stronger."

Hodgson lost just two Barclays Premier League fixtures after taking over as West Brom manager in February, and while he accepts the nature of the job is a stark contrast to the pressure-cooker environment at Anfield, he is enjoying the fresh challenge of establishing the Baggies in the top flight.

"Now it is a different world, to some extent, but it is still the Premier League and it is still a good level of football and it is still working with good quality players," he continued.

"I'm pleased that I went straight back into the West Brom thing, and I had thoughts about whether that was the right thing to do after leaving Liverpool.

"It was another bold decision but I'm glad I took it and I guess you could say I agree that I'm more relaxed going into the new season because what started midway through as a painful experience, ended up as a very positive experience."


every season
 
Having saved the Baggies from relegation last season, the former Fulham manager has added the likes of Ben Foster, Shane Long, Zoltan Gera, Gareth McAuley and Billy Jones to his ranks.

With all the newly-promoted clubs strengthening, Hodgson knows West Brom cannot afford to stand still.
"If you don't improve your squad every season in this league, you are going to be in major difficulties because all the teams coming up, they have high hopes, they get the Premier League money, they buy players and often they're the ones in the best position to know where the best players in the championship are because they have studied them and come across them," he added.

"You notice quite often that when these championship teams come up, they take championship players who they have been impressed with. I think if you don't improve, and get one or two players in areas where you think you need help, you are going to quickly slide backwards."

0 comments:

Post a Comment